I’ve just received the final draft of the covers for my books and I’m very pleased with them. You can see them at the top of this site and I hope that they are as enticing to you as they were to me…
The post title is a little odd, I grant you, but what else do you do when faced with 200,000 words of writing where you need to insert a comma?
I opened up Scrivener and used the Find & Replace dialog box to go through every instance of ‘ and ‘ in the book. Where this was a co-ordinating conjunction, I replaced it with ‘, and ‘.
There are a lot of ‘and’s in my books.
Then I had to the whole thing again with ‘ but ‘ and ‘ so ‘.
I am in danger of getting RSI now…
Going through the proofreader’s comments on my book, I learned a lot:
- That those vague ideas I had about too many Capital Letters were right. I removed hundreds of them.
- That I had written the whole book under the misapprehension that co-ordinating conjunctions do not require a comma. They do.
- That I began a huge number of dialogue elements with ‘well’, ‘right’, ‘OK’ and ‘Sorry’. These have been pruned.
- That it is very difficult to transfer changes from one source document to another, even with two monitors.
The net result is that I have a much neater book. It isn’t much better as a read, it’s just neater. None of my beta readers spotted those mistakes and they were all able to read the book without any trouble. Now the next set of readers can enjoy it even more.
* Pedantry note: the original meaning of ‘proof’ is ‘test’. Thus, the ‘test’ of the pudding is in the eating, which makes much more sense than a rigorous scientific demonstration that the pudding is, in fact, a pudding.
The same meaning of ‘Proof’ applies to having your work proofread by a professional. 2QT Publishing have just supplied (for a reasonable fee) a proofread of my book.
In a manuscript of 94,000 words, the proofreader supplied 5,591 corrections. I wouldn’t want that job.
I compose my work in Scrivener (subject of another post) and the proofread was done in MS Word so that I can use the Track Changes feature to see what the editor has changed.
I now have to get out my second monitor and have the Word document in the left screen and Scrivener in the right and make all those changes.
Right. I’ve got three novels, forming a trilogy. Before I can get them published I need covers. Over to Hilary Pitt of 2QT Publishing for the cover design.
I’ve just finished the first draft of In the Red Corner, the third and final volume of the Operation Jigsaw trilogy. Yeay!
Now the hard works begins…